TV show, Painted FABRIC, and a Wee Girl Crush

I'm watching this Dixie Belle TV show called Who Flipped It Best here: https://dixiebelletv.com/programs/who-flipped-it-best-ep4-e61e90 

And I gotta' say, I have a little girl-crush on that Shannon! She is fiesty and fun to watch. I don't know how these ladies finish these pieces so fast, but they do. 


From this video, I learned that you can indeed paint fabric. While I've seen it before, I'm going to have to dig deeper into this phenomenon. Specifically - does the paint get crunchy? Does it flake off? 

You can PAINT a fabric chair: https://blog.dixiebellepaint.com/how-to-paint-a-fabric-chair/

You can also use paint to DYE a fabric chair: https://blog.dixiebellepaint.com/how-to-dye-fabric/ 

So my take-aways for how to successfully paint fabric using chalk paint, allowing you to customize and revitalize your upholstery with ease are as follows:

Prepare Your Fabric:

Before diving into the painting process, it's crucial to prepare your fabric properly. Start by thoroughly cleaning the upholstery to remove any dirt or stains. Depending on the fabric type, you may need to lightly sand it to create a better surface for the paint to adhere to. If your fabric has a smooth, tight weave, consider using a spray bottle to lightly dampen it before painting.

Choose the Right Chalk Paint:

Selecting the appropriate chalk paint is essential for achieving a successful outcome. Opt for a high-quality, water-based chalk paint that offers good adhesion and durability. Ensure the paint color complements your overall design vision and desired aesthetic. Since chalk paint dries quickly, it's important to work in small sections to maintain control and avoid drying lines. I'm using Dixie Belle Chalk Mineral Paint because the pigmentation is very rich. They have two other lines (Silk & Terra) and I may try those as well & report back.

Apply the Chalk Paint:

Now comes the fun part—applying the chalk paint to your fabri.! Start by using a brush or a foam roller to evenly distribute the paint onto the fabric. Work in thin, even coats, applying multiple layers if necessary for complete coverage. Don't worry if the fabric feels stiff initially; it will soften as it dries.

Experiment with Techniques:

While painting fabric, you can also get creative with different techniques to achieve unique effects. Try dry brushing for a distressed or textured look, or use a stencil to add intricate patterns. Additionally, layering different paint colors can create depth and dimension. Don't be afraid to experiment and find the technique that best suits your style and the fabric you're working with.

Seal and Protect:

To ensure longevity and durability, it's important to seal the painted fabric once it's completely dry. Most people use a clear wax such as The Best Dang Wax (smells great, too). This helps protect the surface from wear and tear while making it easier to clean and maintain in the future.

Transforming upholstery through fabric painting with chalk paint is an exciting way to breathe new life into old furniture. With proper preparation, the right chalk paint, and a little creativity, we can achieve stunning results. Whether you want to revamp an old chair, update outdated cushions, or give a new look to a tired sofa, painting fabric with chalk paint allows you to personalize your space and create a unique, custom piece. 


painted chair by Meleah at Mustard Tree Market  


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Fall Can't Come Soon Enough! Bring the colors!

Brushstrokes for Different Folks

Why Start a Furniture Painting Side Hustle Now?